Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Shakeology Review

Shakeology is a nutrient rich, protein packed, supplement shake with fiber and digestive enzymes marketed by Beachbody. It comes in 7 different flavors (2 vegan) and are between 130-170 calories. You can purchase 24 single serve packets or a 30 serving bag for $129.95 retail (Beachbody club members receive a 10% discount, coaches receive a 25% discount, and monthly autoship customers get discounted shipping). You can also get a month's supply included with a challenge pack. If you're new to Shakeology, I highly recommend ordering the trial pack. You are only allowed to order this one time but it includes all 7 flavors and is $34.95 retail (same discounts apply).

I ordered the trial pack through my coach so I could try them all and give my honest review of each flavor. I will mention I'm a picky eater and a super taster so just because I don't like it doesn't mean you won't either. I tried each flavor in 8oz of water so nothing added to the original flavor.

I really thought I would hate some of the flavors but they all tasted good. Some tasted better than others but it was a close call. Here is my ranking of flavors from best to worst:


"Sensuously sweet and utterly delicious" 

Seriously amazing! I first tried this during my 3 Day Refresh and loved it. In 8 oz of water it's nice and thick and tastes like brownie batter. Next time I try it I may even add in tiny bits of walnuts to really make it so. It's great because you get to have chocolate so it curbs your sweet tooth. 

"Rich artisanal chocolate flavor that's 100% vegan, soy-free, and dairy-free"

I'd really have to taste test this back to back with the regular chocolate to see which I like better and if there is a difference. I think this one is a little bit sweeter and might have more of a stevia after taste but I'm not sure. Either way it's delicious and tied for first.

"Packed with tangy pineapple and sweet guava flavors"

I had heard mixed reviews on this but this is delicious!! I don't taste pineapple or guava or anything besides banana and strawberry but mostly banana. A close tie with chocolate for sure.

"Rich, sweet, fruity, and smooth"

 This one is good. It's sweet and fruity and could almost pass for dessert. The only thing that's better is fresh strawberries.

"Delicious creamy flavor"

I originally tried this in pineapple juice with coconut extract to make a "pina colada" and found it to be bland. I tried it again in just water and it's still nothing special. I thought it would be sweeter but that's ok. This would be a great one to mix with something like flavored yogurt.

"Whole coffee fruit and 25% of the caffeine you'd find in a cup of coffee"

I've tried another brand's coffee protein shake and have added different protein mixes into coffee and never liked it so I thought this would taste about the same. It's not bad! The best coffee flavored protein mix I've tasted. I like that it has some caffeine in it and has a slight almost chocolate taste. I wouldn't order it as my main flavor but it's not bad.

"Nutritional powerhouse packed with mouthwatering fruit and healthy greens"

This wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! It has a light flavor similar to lettuce where it tastes like something but also doesn't have a taste. There's a subtle taste of berry that gives it a little bit of sweetness. Overall, I wouldn't make this my main flavor but would have it from time to time.




Considering Shakeology but are health conscious about nutrients? Here's a list of the flavors and their calories, fat, carbs, sugar, protein, and fiber content. Full nutrition facts can be found by clicking the flavor. Underlined values indicate the lowest calorie/fat/carb/sugar or highest protein/fiber options even though all are very similar.

Cafe Latte150 Calories, 2g Fat, 18g Carbs, 7g Sugar, 16g Protein, 5g Fiber
Chocolate160 Calories, 2g Fat, 17g Carbs, 6g Sugar17g Protein6g Fiber
Chocolate Vegan170 Calories, 4g Fat, 18g Carbs, 8g Sugar, 16g Protein, 5g Fiber
Greenberry130 Calories1.5g Fat13g Carbs6g Sugar17g Protein, 4g Fiber
Strawberry130 Calories1.5g Fat, 15g Carbs, 7g Sugar, 16g Protein, 3g Fiber
Tropical Strawberry Vegan170 Calories, 3.5g Fat, 18g Carbs, 8g Sugar, 16g Protein, 4g Fiber
Vanilla:130 Calories, 2g Fat, 14g Carbs, 7g Sugar, 16g Protein, 3g Fiber


What if you're interested but just aren't sure of the price? It is a little pricey when compared to other protein shakes. I'll admit that I'd rather go the cheaper route and get a protein powder that has more protein, less carbs, and less sugar and is cheaper (Vega Clean is a favorite of mine) but I also love the packets that Shakeology comes in as opposed to a bag/container. $70 for 30 days of Vega is almost half the price of Shakeology if you look at the retail price and 30% cheaper than the coach price (about $25). I do mix Vega with milk or coconut almond milk so that adds to the nutrients and the price a little. If you're on the fence I suggest ordering the trial pack as it is cheaper and you'll be able to try all of the flavors and know if you like any of them. You can purchase a trial pack here.

Another option is to get a challenge pack. If you're already considering a Beachbody program you can upgrade to a challenge pack that includes a 30 day supply of Shakeology and a 30 day trial to Beachbody on Demand, a streaming service that gives you access to nearly every program available! If you get a challenge pack, the $39.95 fee to become a coach is waived and you'll get a 25% discount on future orders! To find out more about becoming a coach, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment